Friday, June 15, 2012

My best friend

If you actually know me then you know that I have two best friends, Lily who I've known since 2007 and me in a knitting group and Morrigan who I met sophomore year of high school. I refer to them both as my best friend and shockingly I have never received a 3AM phone call from Morrigan asking who I love more because YES, that is what happened when I was with my ex; 3AM phone call and when I picked up all she said was, "You love me more than him right?!" So the fact that they seem to accept each other as equals is good, they both know that I am there for them if they need me and yes there have been times where I'm on the phone talking to one and texting the other at the same time but I don't mind that, it's what I'm here for and I know that if I need them they'll be there.  Also it's convenient in the hypothetical, if they were both drowning which one would you save? Neither! Neither of them would let me help them and they'd both be so busy trying to save the other one that they'd both die horribly and nothing I do save using a forklift would make any difference whatsoever.
Anyway, bit side tracked, I was reading old Yarn Harlot today and I was back in the beginning days where she talks about getting her friend to knit over years of exposure to knitting and yarn and I was recalling when my girls first started knitting.  The knitting group that I met Lily in was not strictly knitting, it was a needle craft group that, as they tend to do, contained mostly knitters but Lily was a cross stitcher. She had no desire to knit and was quite happy to never learn but she also has the craft bug and so after, not very long at all, there she was making a hat and queuing more patterns than she could make in a lifetime!  Conversion complete! Although I don't think I had much to do with it...
Now Morrigan on the other hand I've known as long as I've been knitting and despite my efforts of look at this sexy yarn... or look at this sexy pattern... have never made a dent.  Once she decided she would try and then picked out a pattern knit on 2s to start with. Yeah, that never happened.  So try as I might she wouldn't go until I stopped trying all together. (Side note; it may seem mean that I would try to make my friends knit but I learned how to knit from a book and didn't know a single other knitter until I had already been knitting for almost 10 years so I really wanted someone to talk to who could appreciate this stuff.) Then Sock Wars came into our lives. Lily and I and a few of our other friends all entered it and got all excited and started talking about it and Morrigan goes, "You kill people with socks! I want to kill people with socks!" So I responded that you need to know how to knit to kill people with socks and within a week we had Mel's first scarf. She went yarn shopping without me and got sucked in by homespun, never a good idea for a beginner. Now the problem is, well it's not really a problem, she won't purl. She flat out refuses to learn anything beyond knit. She knits like the wind but has absolutely no desire to make anything other than garter stitch scarves and has started experimenting with ways to sew a rectangle into a hat or whatever else she wants it to be so... conversion complete? Sure, we'll call it that.

No comments:

Post a Comment